2010-01-11

New Year's Eve

(by 'Jacob' Dong-il Shin)

I am fine with getting old. I like to be home even in New Year’s Eve, like before 9 p.m. Some years earlier, I remember that in the end (and beginning) of the year I dressed up, being over-served and woke up the next morning feeling like I’ve been hit by a truck. I met friends for an adult beverage and I may have already had my life’s share of alcohol in the holiday season. Now I have lost its appeal. I haven’t had any of the above for a few years now. Now a cup of regular coffee, preferably strong one at a well-known coffee house, is sufficient.

I know people hate getting old, and they go out in New Year’s Eve to have fun memory. They often have a good time getting drunken and stupid, and I know all the fun things around that night. I had been there when I was young! I mean, I don’t want to be judgmental of others here, if they hang out to enjoy themselves and, of course, have a designated driver with some drinks.

I just want to say I am happy to get old. Being outside in winter has never had any appeal for me. I am happy to be home when people are jammed into the space of the street, like Myung-dong. Because I hate winter season. My feet and hands are cold, and all of me is cold. Watching people outside is enough to keep me warm. Happy New Year! Here is hoping new year is older and lazier than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment