2010-01-15

New Year's resolution: Golf

(by 'Jacob' Dong-il Shin)

Now that the holiday party season is over, and many of us are vowing never to do anything like that again, here is my idea for a New Year’s resolution: I will play golf.

Golf? I often thought I’d rather read a book or movie. To me, golf’s a waste of good pasture. In Korea, I thought what people are suggesting in golf is not within my budget. However, I may afford the superficial extravagances if I just go out sometimes to enjoy and still focus on what I am pursuing in my life. My friends who enjoy golf are not considerably better off financially.

In the past, I didn’t allow myself to take seemingly time-consuming activities for my free time, like golfing. Since I have been always obsessed with hard-working mentality in my workplaces, I didn’t know how to just take a walk, stop and have a smile, have another coffee, and continue to waste my time uselessly. I just quite often encouraged myself to work all the time. That is the way I managed my life, for the last 10-15 years something.

So my hope for golf is that golf makes me slow down my life, and it gives me a wonderful excuse to be far away from my writing desk. I don’t have to be fast to be a decent player there in a golf field.

Golf is hitting and sinking a small ball, with the fewest strokes, into a sequence of holes on an obstacle-ridden course. The rule of game looks like quite stressful, and the lure of the game? Well, I don’t know yet. I am not sure golf is my type of game, and that I’ll beat the marvelous and crazy game in my rest of life. I played golf for one semester when I was a graduate student at UIUC. At that time, I much more liked basketball or tennis, but as I get older, I stopped playing most of the other sports that I had enjoyed. I think I am ready for the lazy and crazy game at my age.

At this point, I don’t care the handicaps of mine will remain quite unchanged even with much practice. I don’t care about the equipment. I am going to buy used golf clubs.

JOKES?
(source: http://humorvault.tripod.com/golfjoke/golf_12.html)

Two men were playing a round of golf one day. Just as they were about to start one of the holes, a funeral procession went by on the road beside the course. One of the golfers, Clyde, takes off his cap and stands with his cap to his chest, and waits for the entire procession to go by. He then puts his cap back on and proceeds to tee off. "Gee Clyde, that was a very nice gesture on your part. It was very thoughtful and respectful of you to do that," his friend said. "Well," Clyde replied, "I was married to her for 30 years, it was the least that I could do." From this we can deduce that, over the course of a lifetime, golf might outlast a spouse, something in the nature of a faithful Companion

QUOTES?

“The man who takes up golf to get his mind off his work soon takes up work to get his mind off golf.” (Is it in the nature of an obsession? An addiction? That would explain a lot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment